Friday, March 02, 2001

hanDJob talks to jasson turner of the ruph headz



3. July 2010– Today we’re going to have a talk with Jasson Turner member of the Ruph Headz out of Brooklyn, New York. You might be familiar with their two releases «’96 Spring Sampler Vol.1» and their ’95 debut «Sett-It b/w Ain’t No 1/2 Stompin».

hanDJob: What’s good Jasson? Please introduce yourself and tell the readers a little bit about the Ruph Headz as well as what it stands for.

Jasson: Ha! The Ruph Headz was Raw Universal Pot Headz who stay High Everyday All day Zonin‘.       

hanDJob: When did the Ruph Headz start out as a crew? Please share some history.

Jasson:  We formed the group in 1989 as LMS (Lyrical Mafia Squad), then changed the name to the Ruph  Headz.  At that time it was a four man group (Mayhem R.I.P, Masikah, Majesty, and DJ Buckwild). We lost two members (Majesty and Buckwild).  For a while it was just Mayhem and Masikah, and then we met Sharif who I named DJ Sizahands because of his scratching skills....and that is how we became the Ruph headz.  


hanDJob: I noticed that Ced Gee (of the Ultramagnetic MC’s) produced one track on the ’96 Spring Sampler. How did that come about?

Jasson:  Well, that was something that was out of our control.  Mayhem and I did a project for a Japanese label called Backbone records.  I initially produced the track, and his version was a remix.  They wanted him to remix it and tag him as the producer because I guess Ultramagnetic MC‘s were hot in Japan.  I think we just decided to throw that track on the Sampler since things inevitably didn‘t  work out with Backbone.  And everybody else liked the track.  For the record, I hated what Ced did to the track...no disrespect to Ced, though.       

hanDJob: Both records were released on different labels, is there a specific story to it?

Jasson:  As stated in the last question, we did the Backbbone project 1st.  After getting a raw deal with  Backbone, we decided to roll with Mayhems aunt Reesie, who had some music business connections.  She became our manager and set us the closest to getting a deal, or independent distribution. In hindsight, I wish we would have stayed the course with Marie....but we were all young, dumb, and full of cum.   

hanDJob: I guess it’s something the readers would like to know, is there any unreleased Ruph Headz material laying around? You mentioned cassette tapes before. 


Jasson:  There is some archived unreleased material out there that has never been heard.  I see a digital conversion in my future... unfortunately right now I have no way of transferring materials to Cd from cassette....so I don‘t know what solutions to offer at this point.

hanDJob:  What is it that you’re doing today? Are you still involved in music? I also read that you moved to Los Angeles a while ago.

Jasson:  Yes, I‘ve been in Los Angeles for 10 years now.  And I am still working and striving still today.  In 1998, I produced 3 tracks for Heltah Skeltah on the Magnum Force Lp (Gunz-N-Onez ft. Method man...and....The Gangs all here ft. BCC). One was never released.  That same year I produced a track for the Representatives called Wanna Start, and then in ‘06 I was featured on the grammy nominated Kelis was Here‘s Lp, Aww Shit produced by Bangladesh (same producer for Lil Wayne‘s A Milli).    

hanDJob: I see, so you went under the name Smoke? The same Smoke who produced that Ill Knob (KGB) Beautyful Thing 12” on Echo International?

Jasson:  No, there’s no affiliation whatsoever.

hanDJob: Thanks for taking your time and sharing some interesting information with our readers. 

Donald Owens «Mayhem» – Rest in Peace 

6 comments:

thisiztungmob said...

My name is Uneek Magnetic aka (RAH), and I am a Ruph Head that wasn't rapping on any of the tracks that you heard, but I was on the hooks and ad libs with Jasson and our brother MAYHEM. I am glad to know that people appreciate their work and copped the music. I wanna know how you heard about "DA RUPHEADZ" .

Anonymous said...

hey Uneek

thanks for commin through. i think most people here heard of the Ruph Headz through mixtapes and/or of course the internet. if you check the net you'll see that the '96 Spring Sampler shows up quite often while the Sett-It 12" rarely shows up.

hanDJob

ecks-bogota said...

thanx hj, lol at the ced gee part...indeed that remix sounds on some other shit compared to the other beats...props to hj alwas droppin knowledge for all of us

Anonymous said...

yo philly blunt, thanx for the interview.. always interesting stuff !! i like the sampler ep the most.. i think this is a cool thing, cause peeps gettin their props, FINALLY !! after years. i mean, not only from local cats..... from around the world!! should be a good feeling :) pace, Tobi da skeletorian

Anonymous said...

hello ecksbogota
it is good to know that there are people in Bogota who likes good sample music

Jasson said...

This is Jasson Turner of the Ruph Headz aka SmokeIzFire saying thnx for all of the love ya'll. To the commenter that said this musty feel good. You have no idea :)