Saturday, March 03, 2001

hanDJob talks to dj gerard


What’s good y’all?

This time we’re going to have a talk with Gerard Gibson aka Brother Black. To be upfront with it here’s an introduction which can be found on his myspace page (http://www.myspace.com/brotherblack):

“Gerard Gibson a.k.a. Brother Black grew up in Lefrak City Queens, New York. Music has been a big part of his life since he was a youngster. That is when he first set his hands on two turntables and a mixer and started DJ(ing) with various groups out of Queens. Groups like Realistic Sounds and the Casanova Crew. Sometime in 1986 he joined the famous Uptown Crew, which featured various artists like Heavy D and the Boys, Marley Marl, Groove B Chill and Finesse & Synquis. These artist formed a compilation album, which was recorded on MCA Records under the direction of Andre Harrell, CEO of Uptown Records and previously world renowned Motown Records. Along his music journey, he has production credits along with developing artists such as Akinyele/Interscope Records and Loud RCA Records, also Volcano records, Freedom Williams/C&C Music Factory, Reggie Capers/RSGM Records, Final Chapter/Thugged out entertainment. Kia (PUT IN YOUR MOUTH) Jeffries, Her group 4Kast/RCA Records. Gutter Ratz/Qwest Records. Since the 90‘s he teamed up with Marshal Cooke a.k.a Dj Marsh Groove for a production company called Black and Outta Control Productions. The company has since changed its name to „WHY NOT ENTERTAINMENT“. Why not entertainment services include remixing, music production, hip hop, r&b, gospel, gospel rap, Mixtapes and Dj services including weddings etc.”



hanDJob:   To start this, please share some history about the time you got into music, like how it was back then. How it all started.

Dj Gerard:  I started DJing at 13 years old, in Lefrak City Queens NY. This was where and when I received my first DJ set, It was BSR TURNTABLES, AND A UP AND DOWN CROSS GEMINI MIXER AND A REALISTIC AMP FROM RADIO SHACK. To this day I haven’t lost a Dj battle, but those days are long over. I used to get my hands on old tapes of Grandwizard Theodore, Infinity Machine, Disco Twins, Grandmaster Flash, and was blown away about this new art form. I used to get in trouble because a lot of these free park jams ended late at night which led into a lot of punishment.  Growing up in New York we all had music crews, in some ways it could have been called a gang. My first Crew was called Realistic Sounds. And then the Casanova Crew. We hung together, protected each other, and played music making tapes, doing parties, we all at one time break danced, wrote graffiti…it was our life in NYC. Reggie Capers was in another crew at the time and he was a DJ then. Before turntables we would make pause tapes on a cassette radio, this was one of the way we could extend, or loop a break beat without two turntables and duplicate records. We used take collection from all members to buy records weekly, wow I wish I still had some of those records. I still have a mean collection though. Legendary Downstairs Records is where I used to collect my records from. The record store in the subway station, not the one on 43 & 6th ave, the original record store with Elroy selling you the records.       




hanDJob:   When I checked for that Uptown Crew compilation it says “The BrotherS Black”, what is that about?

Dj Gerard:  The Brothers Black group consisted of Gerard Gibson aka DJ ROCKIN ROD & Darrin Robinson AKA MC POSEY. Check out the Uptown is Kicking It Video on Youtube. We were the first group signed to Andre Harrell’s Uptown Records. At that time we was the only hardcore group they ever signed & managed. Other artist on that album was Groove B Chill and Marley Marl, Heavy D & The Boys, Woody Rock, Finesse & Synquis. The Brother Black eventually left Uptown Records to sign with Bill Camera of B-BOY Records and label mates of BOOGIE Down PRODUCTIONS. But thing didn’t work out well.

hanDJob:   What was your function with artists like Reggie Capers, Final Chapter, Gutter Ratz?

Dj Gerard:  Reggie Capers is a long time friend!!! I was responsible for production and the overall sound of the Reggie Capers projects. The Gutter Ratz I did a remix with them called Cops & Robbers with a rapper called M.A.G. aka Mad ass Gangster from Minnesota.  The company I was working for at that time was Set it Off Records C.E.O Pookie Gist the Brother of Kay Gee, of the world famous Naughty BY Nature. Final Chapter, I was the first producer to put them in the studio, and showing them how to arrange their songs into 16 BARS FORMAT.  Algado was my solo artist; I still have a hit song I never released with Algado going solo on it.  Final Chapter will always be my group, they’re on my CLASSIC MIX TAPE CALLED BROTHER BLACK PRESENTS CHRONICLES PART #1 LEFRAK FINEST.  

hanDJob:   You decided to share some unreleased Reggie Capers tracks with us. Please give the readers some history, maybe explaining why it never got released back then.  

Dj Gerard:  These songs never were released because we all had so much things going on in lifes at this time, Reggie moved south and Marshall moved to Jersey and Sam of Sound Rhythm started a computer business.

hanDJob:   What’s the deal with the Sound Plus Rhyhtm Label (Reggie Capers, Felix Cruz, Da Silver, Thief In Da Nite)? Please share some history about how it started and the artists that were involved.

Dj Gerard:  I don’t really know their history but Sam was part of Sound Plus Rhythm and did some production with me for Reggie Capers. And Felix Cruz is an Entertainment Lawyer that I used once for some legal work. Thief in da Nite and Breeze Everflowing were the main artists.

hanDJob:   As I always have to ask, how do you feel about the whole culture these days, compared to when you grew up?

Dj Gerard:  It’s a new ball game !!! I’m old school so of course I don’t like everything but I still love HIP HOP. The main thing is respect the art form, know the history (check the Founding Father documentary on Hip Hops Origin) a must see. And keep creating.



hanDJob:   You told me that you’re still doing beats. Is there anything the readers should check for?

Dj Gerard:  I’m in the process of rebuilding my studio so stay in touch. I’ll launch a new web site giving all details were I might be   DJing or what’s new as far as songs and the artist I’m working with. The first group I’m going to be in the studio with is COLLITON CARTEL from IRAQ, LEFRAK QUEENS, One of my old groups I used to lace with truck beats.   

hanDJob:   Any last words?

Dj Gerard:  If anybody would like to talk to me directly here’s my number 917 213 6926. Good luck to all, I’m in my 40’s and it feels like it’s brand new. I have a lot of projects coming up. Please explain to me how did y’all get your hands on the Reggie Capers stuff !!! We only pressed 500 copies of every song y’all have of his????????  IF you have more questions I interview better live!!! Make it happen. RODY ROD TO ROCKIN ROD TO BROTHER BLACK TO DJ GERARD– PEACE !!!!!!

hanDJob:   Thanks for taking your time doing this Gerard.
 

1 comments:

verge said...

dOpe interview. Damn, I would have never realized that was Rod from Brothers Black on the Reggie Capers cuts. Funny how so many things tie together when you just dig around for more info and ask questions.
That move to B-Boy Records probably looked real promising at the time, sorry it didn't work out.
Nice interview and am glad Gerard still doing his thing!

And thanks for the bonus tracks!